International Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
Freight shipping in Australia is the only way for businesses to survive if they depend on exporting their goods to foreign countries. However, international freight can be quite expensive – especially for smaller businesses and start-ups. Finding sensible shipping solutions that will save you money is important for any business that wants to survive and continue to grow. Despite what you might believe there are ways of saving money when freight shipping – without having to compromise on quality service and/or confidence in your shipper. Although your international freight provider might not readily offer you the best shipping rates – if you have a budget in mind, there are ways of making your shipment costs fit within it.
International Freight Shipping in Australia
One of the easiest ways of cutting down on shipping costs is to opt for the least expensive form of shipping. If you have an international freight shipping need, then sending your shipment by sea is the most economical. If you are connected by land bridges to your ultimate destinations, then shipping by road is often the cheapest option. Find out what Freight Shipping Company in Australia would best work for your needs money-wise and then request that option. However, bear in mind that if your shipment is time-sensitive, you will most likely have to compromise cost for expediency.
International Freight Shipping From Australia
There are different types of containers available an those that provide the greater amount of security and protection for your Freight shipping in Australia will cost more than the others. Here we will look at four options when it comes to containers:
1- Closed container: most secure and protected option, but most expensive. Most commonly used sizes are 20 foot and 40 foot – but if you have a small shipment you may not need so much space.
2- Sharing a container: If your shipment is too small to warrant a regular container you can save money by requesting to share the container with another shipment heading to your same destination.
3- Smaller container: There are smaller container options that are available, however, they are not the cheapest option, but are a good compromise if you want the protection without the very big price.
4- Open pallet: An open pallet is exactly what its name implies – a pallet onto which your goods are stacked and then secured using cello-wrap or something similar. It is by far the cheapest option available, however, your goods must be very securely packed and it is best if the goods were not breakable.
The next way to save money when it comes to freight shipping is to request a longer or more circuitous route. If you are not in any hurry for your goods to arrive at their destination, then you can booked them on a carrier that will make several stops before reaching its ultimate destination. It is a good way of freight shipping your goods without having to pay the full, high price-tag that comes along with a direct shipment with no stops.
International Discount Freight Shipping in Australia
Speaking of accounting and terms that are related to export import business; even if you have a bookkeeper or an accountant that will take a good care of your books, there are some things and terms that you should know. Before starting to talk about terms, I want to tell you mt story. When my husband and I just started this business, we had no experience in this field at all. We even didn't have any experience in running any kind of business, so all the financial and non-financial terms were new for us. When we first time went to talk to a custom broker I thought he was speaking in some different language with us. Even the word freight sounded very weird to me, "Why wouldn't you call that shipping??" I though. So, I know your pain when it comes to business slang.
FOB destination - title of the goods passes from a seller to a buyer AT destination. That means that seller is responsible for loss or damage of goods until shipment is delivered to a buyer. For example, you bought a car from Germany with FOB destination terms. In this case if anything happens to a car while it's been shipped, you have NO responsibilities for that, and you will not have to pay for any damage or loss of the car. You even don't have to buy the car when it arrives, if it is not in the acceptable condition. All expenses are handled by the seller.
Freight out (Transportation out) - the terms to record the transportation costs or delivery expenses, when the seller is responsible for delivery (FOB destination). (The seller will record the transportation cost as Freight-Out, Transportation-Out, or Delivery Expense.)
FOB shipping point:
FOB shipping point (FOB origin) - title of goods passes from a seller to a buyer at the seller's shipping doc. That meant that a buyer is has to pay for the delivery. Basically, If you bought a car with FOB shipping point or FOB origin terms, you are the one who is responsible for delivery and damage or loss of the car. If the car arrives in a poor condition because of an accident that happened WHILE the car was shipped, you cannot ask for money back.
- Destination Freight Prepaid - the seller pays and takes all the freight charges and. (Pretty much the same as FOB destination)
- Destination freight Prepaid and Charged Back - The seller pays the freight charges, but charges them back on the buyers invoice. (For instance, when you buy something from Amazon.com, they usually include the price of the shipment in the receipt. That means they pay for shipment, but they charge you back for that.)
- Destination Freight Collect - The buyer pays and takes all the freight charges. (However, the buyer pays all expenses, just when the car arrives to the destination.)
- Destination Freight Collect and Allowed - the buyer pays the freight charges, but the seller takes the charges in the invoice. (For example, you bought a car that cost you $5,000 and you paid for shipment $1000. Total: $6000. When the car arrives and you receive the invoice from the company that sold you the car, you see that they charge you just $4000, because they made an allowance of $1000 for shipment.)
Freight in (Transportation in) - the terms to record the transportation costs or delivery expenses when the buyer is responsible for delivery (FOB shipping point, FOB origin) (The buyer will record this cost as Freight-In or Transportation-In.)
Australia Freight Shipping in Australia
Selecting or finding a freight broker or transportation carrier is one of the most critical decisions you will make in your business.
Why? Because if your orders are not delivered on-time and in one piece or without damage you will have likely lost a customer. Like it or not freight shipping services can make or break your company and they are an extension of your business.
The trucking and transportation industry is huge. On a typical day in the USA, about 43 million tons of goods, valued at about $29 billion, moved nearly 12 billion ton-miles on the nation's interconnected transportation network. These domestic numbers are according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics and give you a simple snapshot of the scope or importance of this sector. It is staggering how crucial this business is when it comes to moving our goods and it can literally cripple a nation if it is shutdown for any length of time.
First lets define freight shipping services, freight broker and some other terms used in the shipping industry.
- Truckload: This is where the amount of cargo typically fills the truck. The owner of the goods is paying the cost for a full load to go from point A to point B.
- Consignor: Shipper, person or firm (usually the seller) who delivers a consignment to a carrier for transporting it to a consignee (usually the buyer) named in the transportation documents. Ownership (title) of the goods remains with the consignor until the consignee pays for them in full.
- Consignee: the person to whom merchandise is delivered over to or receiver.
- TDG: Transportation of Dangerous Good. A regulation used to ensure safe delivery and identification of hazardous goods.
- WHMIS: The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is Canada's national hazard communication standard. The key elements of the system are cautionary labelling of containers of WHMIS "controlled products", the provision of material safety data sheets (MSDS) and worker education and training programs.
- Intermodal: Is when your shipment involves more than one mode or form of transportation during it trip from origin to destination. Your shipment might start off on a truck, get loaded on rail then ultimately end up in an ocean carrier or a ship.
- Air Freight Services: Carriage paid for goods transported in aircraft or air cargo.
- Freight Broker: A freight broker is an individual or company that serves as a liaison between another individual or company that needs shipping services and an authorized motor carrier.
- Customs Broker: Assist importers and exporters in meeting Federal requirements governing imports and exports. Brokers submit necessary information and appropriate payments to regulatory bodies behalf of their clients and charge them a fee for this service.
- LTL: Less than Truckload.
- FOB Point: Free on board aka freight on board. This term determines when legal title of goods passes from shipper to buyer. This RFQPro provides a detailed explanation on the importance of FOB Points and how they work.
We have put together some tips we hope will help you make a decision regarding selecting the right freight shipping service for your organization.
- Request routing or coverage areas. Smaller firms interline or join forces with other networks.
- Ask about fleet size and number of employees. Do they own their own trucks, how big is their fleet and do they sub-contract work (independents). This may not matter to you but an actual employee of the company versus and independent contractor is the point we are raising.
- How long they have been in business.
- Request a copy of their Spill response plan.
- Emergency response plan.
- Do they have a safety coordinator on staff. How do they handle training. Get copies of all certifications for handling dangerous goods and proof of driver certifications. If you are shipping toilet paper this may not be on your priority list however if you are moving fuel, chemicals or any other products which could damage the environment much of the above applies.
- Safety Records - Sample of an accident investigation performed in their organization.
- Ask for their damage claim history.
- Copy of their liability insurance. You may wish to request anywhere from $5 - 10 million depending on commodities they ship on your behalf.
- Workers compensation coverage.
These are just a few of the areas you may wish to target in evaluating and selecting your service provider.
- Freight Shipping Australia Australia
- International Freight Shipping Insurance Adelaide Australia
- Freight Shipping Ltl Albany Australia
- Freight Shipping Startup Alice Springs Australia
- International Freight Shipping Personal Items Ballarat Australia
- International Freight Shipping Cheap Bathurst Australia
- Freight Shipping Vs Ground Bendigo Australia
- Freight Shipping Residential Brisbane Australia
- Freight Shipping Rates Bunbury Australia
- Freight Shipping Rates Bundaberg Australia
- International Freight Shipping Rates Busselton Australia
- International Freight Shipping Prices Cairns Australia
- Freight Shipping Time Central Coast Australia
- Freight Shipping Options Coffs Harbour Australia
- Freight Shipping Quote Darwin Australia
- International Freight Shipping Quote Ups Devonport Australia
- Freight Shipping Software Dubbo Australia
- Discount Freight Geelong Australia
- International Freight Shipping Dictionary Geraldton Australia
- Freight Shipping Quote Ups Hervey Bay Australia
- International Freight Shipping Price Calculator Hobart Australia
- International Freight Shipping Personal Items Launceston Australia
- Freight Shipping Rates Ups Lismore Australia
- International Freight Shipping Overseas Mackay Australia
- Freight Shipping Prices Melbourne Australia
- Freight Shipping Costs Melton Australia
- Freight Shipping Company Near Me Mount Gambier Australia
- Freight Shipping Guidelines Orange Australia
- Freight Shipping Glossary Perth Australia
- Freight Shipping Cheap Port Macquarie Australia
- International Freight Shipping Methods Rockhampton Australia
- International Freight Shipping Quote Calculator Sunshine Coast Australia
- International Freight Shipping Glossary Sydney Australia
- Freight Shipping Rates Comparison Tamworth Australia
- Freight Shipping Bidding Toowoomba Australia
- Discount Freight Townsville Australia
- Freight Shipping Personal Items Wagga Wagga Australia
- Freight Shipping Time Calculator Warrnambool Australia
- Freight Shipping Companies Wollongong Australia